NO DEPOSIT SPINS!
What would you attempt to protect your child from gambling?
According to the information received from the international organizations involved in the problem of gambling, children’s gambling habits are turning into a dangerous trend globally.
It is our considered view, such a vicious tendency is unacceptable, and we will try to contribute to the fight against gambling addiction in minors. We will look into a matter on every hand and give some useful tips about ways of control.
Some common facts:
- about 450,000 teenagers from 11 till 15 gamble weekly;
- 9,000 of the surveyed suffer from gambling addiction;
- only 60% of school students are aware of risks;
- boys are more liable to games of chance and gamble twice as much as girls do;
- “fruity slots” are the most popular among minors.
What is the eye of the problem?
Even adults find it difficult to assess risks coming from gambling, but the children’s mind is not capable of realizing how dangerous such entertainments could be. Teenagers tend to overindulge exciting activities, and become a victim of gambling addiction, they drop out of school, come into conflict with adults and friends and even commit crimes to get money to continue the game.
How do children get involved in gambling?
Nowadays, children learn about gambling at an early age. Here are some sources of information to be described:
- poker tournaments add;
- gambling parlor’s signs;
- stories about sports betting;
- casino advertising in bootlegs;
- free spins and bonus offers on entertainment websites;
- scratch cards boxes;
- parents’ penchant for card games;
- gambling at school;
- children’s entertainment in the shopping malls with signs of gambling.
Computer games are worth being mentioned separately since it is possible there to make purchases online to level up a character or to get so-called loot boxes is no less addictive than playing slots.
So, what is the reason to start gambling? Respondents to the survey identified three main reasons:
- making money;
- having fun;
- new entertainment.
When it is time to sound the alarm
Do not think that your child is too small to be interested in gambling. It slowly sneaks into the children’s world, not causing concern. They say about the harmful influence of smoking, taking drugs and drinking alcohol, but nobody gives an eye to gambling. As a result, there are some shocking indicators:
- studies conducted around the world indicate that the first signs of addiction appear on average, at the age of 10 years;
- according to the statistics compiled by Nova Scotia Gaming Corporation, teens are involved with online gambling three times more often than adults;
- minors most often play scratch games, totals and poker.
How to see through a problem
It happens to be quite difficult to see through children’s gambling problems, especially early on. As a rule, minors don’t face such financial problems which are fraught with some real troubles. They usually lose their pocket money, but also borrow crumbs from peers sometimes. But if the signs of addiction in minors wouldn’t be found out in the early days, it can turn into real trouble.
We would recommend you to pay attention to children’s behavior change following below:
- underachievement in school;
- financial instability, viz. pots of money, unexpected spending, attempts to borrow money from friends;
- quarrels with classmates and friends;
- loss of interest in sports and hobbies;
- close attention to the results of sporting events;
- behavior changes such as fitful sleep, mood swings, apathy, irritability, and so on;
- indisposition for talking about gambling.
All those changes mentioned above may indicate other problems not related to gambling, but anyway they are worth paying careful attention.
How to struggle against children’s gambling addiction
First of all, it’s necessary to have a talk with your child, do not fall back on decisive action and harsh punishments. Children often take gambling for harmless amusement and underestimate its danger. Explain the risks associated with gambling and its possible aftermath. Some real stories would have an effect.
Even if the child claims to be aware of the problem, keep a close eye on because children are liable to be secretive. If you do not manage by yourself, it is necessary to resort to a psychologist.
How to prevent gambling addiction
It is always better to avoid any problem than to deal with the consequences. Here are some recommendations that may help you avoid the disaster:
- it is your responsibility to set a good example. Your child must not see you playing casino or poker, placing bets or buying lottery tickets;
- would be better not to visit any entertainment venues with gambling facilities;
- explain to your child how the gambling works. Do not let the teenager believe the myths about gambling are true;
- keep an eye out for possible signs in your child behavior that shows interest in gambling;
- monitor and limit surfing on the Internet.
We strongly encourage you to protect your child from gambling even if you play casino, enjoy poker, lottery or betting at the bookmaker’s. Gambling is a responsible activity, connected with risks, which the children’s mind is not able to cope with.
Do not layaway the talk about gambling.
Do not wait until gambling to become a real problem for your family.